Arlington 55+ Book Club: "Intimations: Six Essays"
We meet on the first Friday of the month to discuss an eclectic mix of fiction and nonfiction.
This book club is hosted in partnership with the Arlington's Office of Senior Adult Programs.
Normally, this group meets via Zoom. However December 2022's meeting will be in person at Central Library.
This is a volunteer-run group.
About this month's title: "Intimations: Six Essays" by Zadie Smith
Written during the early months of lockdown, "Intimations" explores ideas and questions prompted by an unprecedented situation. What does it mean to submit to a new reality--or to resist it? How do we compare relative sufferings? What is the relationship between time and work? In our isolation, what do other people mean to us? How do we think about them? What is the ratio of contempt to compassion in a crisis? When an unfamiliar world arrives, what does it reveal about the world that came before it? Suffused with a profound intimacy and tenderness in response to these extraordinary times, "Intimations" is a slim, suggestive volume with a wide scope, in which Zadie Smith clears a generous space for thought, open enough for each reader to reflect on what has happened--and what should come next. --from Amazon.
We are reading:
- Jan. 7: "Hidden Life of Trees" by Peter Wohlleben
- Feb. 4: "Less" by Andrew Sean Greer
- Mar. 4: "Devil in the White City" by Erik Larson
- Apr. 1: "Homegoing" by Yaa Gyasi
- May 6: "Nothing is True and Everything is Possible" by Peter Pomerantsev
- Jun. 3: "Blunnders" by Charles N. Toftoy (local author)
- Jul. 1: "Hamnet" by Maggie O'Farrell
- Aug. 5: "Oh William" by Elizabeth Strout
- Sep. 2: "The Bluest Eye" by Toni Morrison
- Oct 7: "The Dictionary of Lost Words" by Pip Williams
- Nov. 4: "Nomadland: Surviving America in the Twenty-First Century" by Jessica Bruder
- Dec. 2: "Intimations: Six Essays" by Zadie Smith
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 703-228-5954.
- Friday, December 2, 2022
- 12:00pm - 1:00pm
- Bluemont Room
- Arlington Public Library