Reading on the Pike: "Hillbilly Elegy"
Come check out the Pike and chat about the latest great books.
Newcomers are always welcome! This bookclub meets in person on the third Wednesday of each month (or virtually in case of bad weather).
Location: We will meet outside by the flag pole picnic area in front of The Career Center entrance.
September book selection: "Hillbilly Elegy: a memoir of a family and culture in crisis" by J.D. Vance
When Elwood Curtis, a black boy growing up in 1960s Tallahassee, is unfairly sentenced to a juvenile reformatory called the Nickel Academy, he finds himself trapped in a grotesque chamber of horrors. Elwood’s only salvation is his friendship with fellow “delinquent” Turner, which deepens despite Turner’s conviction that Elwood is hopelessly naive, that the world is crooked, and that the only way to survive is to scheme and avoid trouble. As life at the Academy becomes ever more perilous, the tension between Elwood’s ideals and Turner’s skepticism leads to a decision whose repercussions will echo down the decades.
Registration Required. Registered patrons will be sent a Zoom link.
Please call 703-228-5710 for more information.
We are reading:
- Oct. 20: The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown
- Nov. 17: The Nightingale by kristin Hannah
- Dec. 15: Behold the Dreamers by Imbolo Mbue
- Jan. 19: The Nickel Boys by Colson Whitehead
- Feb 16: Americanah by Chimamanda N Adichie
- Mar. 16: Beartown by Fredrik Backman
- Apr. 20: An American Marriage by Tayari Jones
- May 6: The Hidden Life of Trees by Peter Wohleben
- Wednesday, September 15, 2021
- 7:00pm - 8:00pm
- Columbia Pike Library
- Events for Adults Good for Adults Age 55+
- Book Club
- Arlington Public Library
About Our Events
Arlington County provides accommodations to individuals with disabilities upon request. Please contact us at least five (5) business days in advance.
- Phone: 703-228-5993
- Email: Jberg@arlingtonva.us