Learn how to plan and improve you garden from the experts.
Wednesday night garden talks are presented by the Arlington Food Assistance Center's (AFAC) Plot Against Hunger Program and the Arlington County Office of the Virginia Cooperative Extension Service.
All talks are held by the vegetable garden, unless otherwise indicated.
- September 6: Cover Crops for Healthy Soil. Sowing cover crops can add nutrients & structure to your soil during the winter months for next spring.
- September 13: Extend the Growing Season. Protecting Crops from the Cold. Hot caps, cold frames, row covers & other protective layers can protect crops through chilly fall evenings & even through winter months.
- September 20: Planting and Care of Fruit Trees. This is the time of year you can plant fruit trees. Best varieties of fruit trees to plant now will add food & beauty to your landscape for years to come.
- September 27: International Flavors from the Garden. Join Arlington Food Assistance Center clients, staff & volunteers as they explore international cuisines that use harvests from local farms & gardens.
- October 4: Fruit from Vines, Brambles & Shrubs. Learn about best varieties & growing techniques. Plant now for next year!
- October 11: Growing Garlic and Learn Its History. A handful of garlic sown this fall will yield beautiful heads of garlic next summer.