Water Treatment with Alexandria Renew Enterprises CEO Karen Pallansch
The flush toilet was voted the best medical advance of the past 200 years—greater than surgery, the pill or even anesthesia!
So what happens after water is flushed and drains into the Potomac and then flows back into your faucets so you can enjoy a cool, refreshing drink of water? Find out from Karen Pallansch, CEO of Alexandria Renew Enterprises, a leader in waste water recovery. You never will think about your access to clean water in quite the same way again!
RSVP for an event reminder; attendance is on a first-come, first-served basis.
A few water sanitation facts to help get you started...
- 1/3 of the world’s population doesn’t have a toilet…that’s 2.5 billion people!
- 50 communicable diseases travel in human waste.
- 4,000 children die per day of diarrhea.
- Diarrhea is the second biggest killer of children world wide.
- Diarrhea kills more children than TB, HIV and measles combined.
- Childhood mortality dropped the most it ever had in history due to the invention of flush toilets and sewage systems.
- Latrines/toilets reduce disease by twice as much as installing clean water systems.
- 25% of girls in India drop out of school because there is no adequate sanitation.
- Human waste can cook dinner: in Rwanda cooking fuel used in prisons is provided by prisoners’ waste, saving $1 million/year and helping prevent deforestation.